He did, I guess, when he added a 500Hz-wide mode. The footprint of that mode indicates it is probably FSK as he tried to claim for the 2200 Hz-wide mode. He says he submitted a technical description to the FCC but will not release it until he gets an OK. Don't know what to believe from him these days, though!

A further problem is the the new mode is included under the ROS name, and the 2200Hz-wide mode still looks like spread spectrum, unchanged from earlier. So if the FCC approves ROS on the basis of the new 500 Hz-wide mode, operators may think the 2200Hz-wide mode is now legal also.

Still not a good situation!

73 - Skip KH6TY

g4ilo wrote:
Skip.

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation. I understand why ROS is illegal under your rules.

The point of my question was, if FHSS is illegal, why not simply modify the mode (which after all is experimental and does not have a large number of users) to use a non random way of generating the tones? Instead of rewriting the description to falsely claim ROS is not SS, why could he not have changed the mode so that it really was not SS?

What does ROS gain by using SS over another mode that carries the same amount of data at the same speed using the same bandwidth and the same number of tones but uses an entirely predictable method of modulation?

Julian, G4ILO