"Gary" <grwes...@...> wrote:

>Maybe there is something that the path simulators are missing.

It could be Gary and I think it's fair to say that propagation simulators are just not capable of capturing all the variables of the HF channel. They do, for the most part, capture the fundamental characteristics of the real thing and that has been proven to be useful when comparing the performance of different HF modems.

As far as NVIS, the simulator creates a multi-path condition that tries to emulate both ground waves and sky waves arriving at the receiver; a condition that can destroy throughput with certain modes regardless of how strong the signals are.

NVIS field tests would have to meet this criteria in order to prove or disprove whether an NVIS path simulation was useful in determining which modes work best for this kind of propagation. The trick is recognizing the presence of both ground waves and sky waves.

I doubt if there's enough ground wave signal strength to cause any real problems on the longer NVIS paths; it's the relatively short paths that give the most trouble and of course, that depends on terrain, antennas etc.

Thanks for the input Gary. I'd be interested in any NVIS recordings you have. Feel free to send them and don't worry about file size (within reason of course : ).

73 Tony -K2MO

.