Andy,

I petitioned the FCC for just that (inside the automatic "subbands"), but it was rejected for the status quo. So-called "semiautomatic" operations is permitted anywhere RTTY/data is permitted as long as the bandwidth does not exceed 500 Hz. For fully automatic operations, the automatic "subbands" already exist, and the FCC view is that there is sufficient space there for all automatic actvities whether 500 Hz or 2700 Hz.

The HFlink idea of expanding the amount of space for automatic operations of any sort is simply not workable, because the demand for space for person-to-person, non-automatic operations, is too great and will become greater as the sunspot numbers grow. I see no reason that Winlink and HFlink could not work together and negotiate for a space in the automatic subbands just for 500 Hz-wide automatic signals that would not interrupt person-to-person communications. Although the rules still require "listening first", this is impossible to do with automatic stations, so what is needed is a protocol like AX-25 where space can be shared by more than one station and do that in the automatic subbands so users there did not feel so cramped for space.

This Winlink business of scanning more than one frequency is one of the worst wastes of spectrum you can imagine. What happens is that a Winlink client will call and call on an empty frequency (which someone else could use) for a Winlink host station that is already busy on a secondary frequency and will NEVER answer until it is finished on that secondary frequency and starts scanning again. Meanwhile, the client station occupies a frequency fruitlessly, preventing someone else from using it. I am sure you have seen such calls many times -they call, and call, and never connect, and then connect on a different frequency. Just eliminating scanning would probably free up as much as 20% more space in the automatic subbands, but continues because of the imagined convenience that scanning will make it possible to get a link sooner. Nothing can be farther from the truth. If there were no scanning, simply listening to a frequency would tell if it were already in use. If is not in use, changes are the host station is available if in range. Instead, the frequency appears to be empty, but there is no host station available for traffic passing!

Clean up the automatic station network's act BEFORE even talking about additional space being needed!

73 - Skip KH6TY

Andy obrien wrote:
Let me "drill down" on this some more to find out the prevailing view... Would those that object to Bonnie's idea, also object if the "wide" modes were not part of the issue?. How about these objections if there was a digital mode under 500 Hz that transmitted "unattended" under automatic control? It seems to me, that after years of complaints that PACTOR, ALE, and CW (W1AW) just fire up in the middle of a on-going QSO, that having an area designated for automatic unattended operations makes sense. Then, if we operate there, we do so knowing that W1AW or a WINMOR server may activate at any moment? (actually W1AW has a schedule , but you get my drift). A 500 Hz sliver of spectrum in 80, 60 (yes) 30, 17, and 10M would be all that is needed. The current ALE, Winmor, Pactor, operators (there really are only about 200 in the world , TOTAL ) would then use narrow forms of their mode to achieve their aims . coordinate schedules between them, and have 2500 Hz where their operations are primary, and other hams communications in these segments would be secondary.

Andy K3UK