Sure, you may, if propagation is favorable, and ONLY if you are not in an extended QSO with anyone. Meanwhile, I would just be transmitting into cyberspace!

Let's set up a schedule at a specific time and band, have a short QSO, and then you scan right afterward and see if you pick me up.

73 - Skip KH6TY

Andy obrien wrote:
Well , using ALE principles, I should have my scan passes timed so that anyone that calls me, I can hear. i.e. , a call time is of sufficient duration that a complete scan can be achieved . On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM, KH6TY <kh...@comcast.net <mailto:kh...@comcast.net>> wrote:

    Andy,

    Same problem with your scanning station as with Winlink scanning
    stations!

    I am unable to know what frequency to listen on to see if I hear
    you in QSO, so if I hear nothing, I call just for you, assuming
    you may hear me. If you do not respond, I do not know if
    propagation is not good, or you are tied up on another scanned
    frequency in QSO. Whereas, if you were NOT scanning, I could just
    try calling you on one of the listed frequencies. If I heard
    traffic on that frequency, it would either be you or someone else.
    In any event, if you are in QSO with someone, I will transmit for
    you over and over, taking up a frequency someone else could use,
    and never connect with you until you are done.

    I called for you in Olivia 16-500 on each of the listed
    frequencies from 12:30 to 12:39 when I began to write this. Each
    frequency was clear when I called, of course, but never heard any
    reply.

    Seems like YOU should just be calling CQ, or calling for me for a
    sked and I should be the one doing the scanning and finding you!
    That way, you are not automatic and can verify the frequency is
    clear before calling CQ. That gives me a chance to check each band
    to see if you are on. This way, I do not take up a frequency
    calling for you when you are unavailable because you are busy
    elsewhere.

    Does this make sense?

    73 - Skip KH6TY

    Andy obrien wrote:
    I am scanning 3583 ,7073, 10143, 14073,18103, 21073, 24923, 28123,
    today. Anyone looking for a digital mode QSO is welcome . I am
    scanning in ALE 400 mode BUT if I hear another mode while scanning, I
    pause the scan and see who it is. Just had a nice Olivia 16/500 QSO
    (for an hour!) with W5ZIT who I detected on 14073 while scanning
    (with
    3 kHZ filter, no narrow settings) . Also KB0QC in MFSK16 on 14074.5 .

    For those interested in multiband scanning , aside from actually
    programming your rig to do the scanning, several applications make
    it easy to do

    Commander
    Multipsk (using ALE and customized frequency settings )
    PC-ALE (with ALE)

    Vary the settings long enough so that you can hear a station within
    your passband as the scan progresses. 2 seconds per "channel" is
    usually good enough and reduces the chance of missing someone while
    you are on another frequency.

    A 3 kHz filter setting will allow you to hear most of the none PSK31
    traffic if you use 3583 ,7073, 10143, 14073,18103, 21073, 24923,
    28123, . I did not use 7033 for European traffic.
    Andy K3UK