Mike,

I asked the Mixw team about RSID some time ago. Nick replied and seemed enthusiastic; I haven't heard anything from him since then.

Tony -K2MO

On 4/12/2010 12:23 PM, mikea wrote:

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 07:18:48PM -0400, Tony wrote:
> All,
>
> I was just wondering if there's any confusion or misunderstanding among
> the group about RS-ID? We all know that it's not always easy to identify
> a mode by sight and sound yet I still see many calling CQ without any
> mode identification. The end result, no contacts. I'm sure most of the
> seasoned digital ops know what RS ID is and what it does, so what's the
> reasoning behind not using it?
>
> Tony -K2MO
>
> FLDIGI - Check RX ID / TX ID in upper right corner of program window.
> Click CONFIGURE / IDS to set preferences.
>
> MULTIPSK - Click RS ID / RX RS ID in main window.
> Click CONFIGURATION / MANAGMENT OF ID's.
> Check CONTINUOUS DETECTION.
>
> Ham Radio Deluxe / DM780 Version 5
>
> Open DM780. Click OPTIONS / MODES + IDs / REED SOLOMON TAB.
> Check: ENABLE RSID DETECTION / SHOW IN QSO WINDOW AS HYPERLINK
> SHOW POPUP WINDOW / SHOW RSID BUTTON ON QSO TRANSMIT TOOLBAR

MixW: ????

I _like_ RSID. I like it a lot, especially since lots of the multitone
modes (OLIVIA, Contestia, THOR, and the like) sound and look alike to
me, and I spend a lot of time trying to identify the particular submode
and copy what's being sent. WIthout RSID, it sometimes takes enough time
that the station on the other end quits.

I've switched to HRD+DM780 precisely because they do offer RSID, even
though I have a paid-up license for MixW. I vastly prefer MixW because
it suits my operating style and its interface is IMHO better designed.
I'm getting to the point of being less uncomfortable with HRD and DM780,
but still prefer MixW. I also like having a text-mode log file with
";"-separated items per line, as I can read it directly and bang it
right out to my website.

That *DOES* *NOT* in any mean that I have anything other than the most
lively respect and admiration for HRD, DM780, and Simon's other works,
or for him. It's just a matter of personal preference.

C'mon, Yuri and company! Add RSID (and video ID) to MixW!

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mi...@mikea.ath.cx <mailto:mikea%40mikea.ath.cx>

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5022 (20100412) __________