Simon, Interesting comment about EmComm in the UK.

I live in an eathquake-prone area.  We assume the telecoms infrastructure will
be down for days or weeks, depending on severity.  Hurricane Katrina showed
other weather problems can take out the telecoms and power infrastructure for a
long time.

So EmComm experts here build up the ability to get back on the air without
infrastructure.  The DStar network, in my opinion should not be a primary part
of the EmComm plan, but local unconnected repeaters running on emergency
generators could help using DStar apps like DRats for accurate written forms
over the radio.  Presumably the command center would also have long distance RF
links on traditional HF.

Hams involvement in EmComm provides another huge resource -- trained people.
If public service employees can't get to their work during a disaster, there
will probably be some nearby, trained Hams available.  The fact that they come
with their own radios is a bonus.

Responding to Julian G4ILO, I am old enough to remember the AMers complain
about the terrible squawk from the new-fangled SSB.  But the new technology
(wasn't actually new, but new to many Hams in the late 50s) brought in new
Hams, increased excitement, homebrewing, experimentation and fun.

I see much of the same going on in the DStar community.  Now that non-ICOM gear
is getting on the air, a few Hams are homebrewing hardware and more are
homebrewing software.  There's a lot of excitement in this space now.  Yes, it
is a mixture of VOIP with RF technologies, and in normal times a cell phone
would do the same thing, but that statement is true of traditional HF modes --
Hams worldwide could hang up their gear and go to telephones and the internet
if simple communicating were the goal.

I personally love to sit out in a field doing PSK31 with my NUE-PSK modem and
an FT-817ND, both battery-operated, using a portable vertical that goes up in 3
minutes.  No infrastructure at all, other than how the battery gets recharged
every other day.  Some portable solar panels would fix that.

I don't get the same thrill using my cellphone or internet email.

   Jim - K6JM