    *From:* digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
    [mailto:digitalra...@yahoogroups.com]*on Behalf Of *Jeremy Cowgar
    *Sent:* Saturday, June 05, 2010 3:25 PM
    *To:* digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
    *Subject:* [digitalradio] Bad sound card?

    Hello,

    When purchasing a new radio this last week I decided to also set my
    computer up how it should have been long ago. I purchased a sound
    card
    to dedicate it to digital modes. The sound card purchased was:

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0239854
    <http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0239854>

    It was $9.99... I wasn't asking for the world, but I didn't think I
    would get this. I am curious as to what you think? Here's the
    synario. I
    connect the line out to my rig blaster and when I transmit I get this:

    http://jeremy.cowgar.com/files/bad_sound_card.wav
    <http://jeremy.cowgar.com/files/bad_sound_card.wav>

    This was recorded from my mom's station that is 8 miles away. Obvious
    problem. I then simply moved the line out cable from my new sound
    card
    to my old sound card that is built into my mother board. No other
    changes. I do not have a recording of it, but it's beautiful, exactly
    how a feldhell signal should sound.

    Now, the most obvious thing would be is my sound settings wrong, i.e.
    way overdriving with the new sound card or something. I set them
    up the
    same. Looking at my ALC meter, I transmit into a dummy load, turn the
    line out volume up until I get ALC movement, then turn it back down
    until I cannot notice any ALC movement.

    Do you have any ideas? It's just $10, but I'd really like to have a
    dedicated sound card for the ham stuff, and please do not suggest a
    Signalink as I already have a nice setup, all wired and working, I
    just
    need to get this squared away. Until then, I'm working off my
    sound card
    built into the motherboard.

    Thanks for any help,

    Jeremy