On 6/19/2010 9:28 AM, aa777888athotmaildotcom wrote:

Skip,

I looked at your patent and could not believe my eyes. You patented a tone detector and a beeper. One could have argued that it covered the original "beeper" pager. You could have owned the entire paging market (or did you?). Amazing and disheartening at the same time.

It is amazing to me how patents work (or sometimes don't).

k*b*l*0*0*q

Wish I did, but I didn't! I think the value of the circuit was its reliability, which is why I chose the monostable multivibrator as a basis. The idea of a tone detector and beeper was probably already patented, or probably too obvious to be patentable.

It was enough to kickstart the weather alert radio industry and fortunate to retire at 43 as a result.

I definitely have been blessed by ham radio!

73, Skip KH6TY
//