Greg,

You might want to consider using the WSJT modes for the contest. They work very well with scatter mode propagation, i.e., meteor scatter, ionospheric scatter and can fill the void when other propagation modes are not available. The new ISCAT mode decodes well into the noise and is very effective at times when signals are too weak for SSB or CW.

The JT6M and FSK441 modes are used primarily for meteor burst communications - FSK441 is the faster of the two modes and works well on 2 meters where the "pings" only last a fraction of a second. The calling frequencies are: 50260.0 and 144.140.

Check out the links below and good luck in the contest.

WSJT - http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
Pingjockey - http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk

Tony -K2MO