Julian,

The "other side of the coin" is that we must share frequencies (because there is limited space), so in order to do that, it is necessary to be able to understand a request to QSY or a QRL. When there was only CW and phone, this was always possible, but with digital modes, if you do not decode a request in a different mode than you are using, you are unable to share. It helps to use RSID or operate in a place where others are using the same mode.

73, Skip KH6TY

On 7/14/2010 4:37 AM, g4ilo wrote:

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:digitalradio%40yahoogroups.com>, "J. Moen" <j...@...> wrote:

> I think if 3 kHz SSB is ok, that 2.25 kHz modes (ROS as an example) should be ok, as long as the frequencies chosen are prudent for the band and time of time.

I agree, if people had more flexibility as to where to operate it would be less of a problem. This is mainly the fault with band planning (designed, as someone else said, in the days when the only digital mode was RTTY) but also due to the fact that frequencies for ROS operation were specified rather than allowing people to work wherever they find a clear spot.

Although not the same issue as the legality of spread spectrum in the US it is the same kind of issue as I believe it is the case that you are not free to use digital modes outside the allocated digital sub bands whereas there is nothing to actually prevent anyone in the rest of the world from finding a quiet spot in the SSB sector to conduct their weak signal experiments using wide band modes as the band plans are only a "gentleman's agreement."

Julian, G4ILO