What might help would be for someone to convince the contest managers to do something like adding a multiplier for PSK63 contacts, or perhaps some other acceptable incentive, to make it worthwhile to use PSK63 for contests.

Everybody would win, because so many PSK63 signals can fit into the space of one RTTY signal, and with panoramic displays, you get a list of callsigns to select from all presented to you, and can even highlight zones or callsign areas you need for multipliers, etc..

73, Skip KH6TY

On 7/20/2010 7:03 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

----- Original Message ----
From: g4ilo <jul...@g4ilo.com <mailto:julian%40g4ilo.com>>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:digitalradio%40yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tue, July 20, 2010 4:29:15 AM
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: Olivia vs. RTTY vs. PSK & spectrum efficiency

Just because a mode is better doesn't mean that people will want to use it, though, and I guess both RTTY and PSK31 are so established now that you'll never
persuade people to give them up.

Julian, G4ILO

While rtty can be replaced by other modes, they will not run on the 50 plus old mechanical printers and the demodulators that go with them. Just as some like to run AM on the ham bands. Not that good of a use of bandwidth, but just something to play with that many enjoy. I doubt that many hams that run the
digital modes can really type very fast and depend on the micros in the
programs. For the ones doing it in real time, psk31 probably has enough speed.