Here is a response I got from Dan Henderson, N1ND, ARRL Regulatory Information
Manager about the legality of ROS here in the states. My question was very
simple. Is ROS a legal mode under FCC rules and if not, what would it take to
make it so. Here is what Dan had to say.

From: dhender...@arrl.org
To: n...@hotmail.com

Keith

ROS is a spread spectrum technique.  FCC rules allow Spread Spectrum above 50
MHz.  It is not currently legal on the HF bands in the US.  There has been
quite a controversy about ROS since it was introduced.  The original
documentation from the developer clearly stated it was SS which was confirmed
by the FCC.  When the developer was notified SS was not legal in the US below
30 MHz, he changed his documentation then posted a forged email claiming it was
from the FCC and that they had changed their opinion.  Long story short, it
uses a frequency hopping SS technique, regardless of what the author later
claimed when the controversy erupted.  This was verified by FCC engineers in
their labs. Yes, it is a narrow bandwidth SS technique but it is still SS.

The FCC would have to change Part 97 in order for it to be allowed on the HF
bands in the US.  They would either have to amend the rules to allow SS on all
amateur bands (something that would probably be strongly opposed because many
SS techniques are far wider than this mode and would create major problems on
the relatively small HF band allocations) or they would have to specifically
approve it for use. That is something that they have not been inclined to do
because they do not wish to be constantly adding individual modes as they are
developed.  They provide a broad framework in the rules for what is allowed or
prohibited and the mode either meets those criteria or it doesn't.

73

Dan Henderson, N1ND
ARRL Regulatory Information Manager

So it is what it is and I wouldn't look forward to being able to use it on HF
any time soon here in the good old USA. But it might be a great weak signal
mode on 6 meters in this very late E season. Anyone up to beaconing on 50.295
or 144.160 MHz, the frequencies suggested within the program? I'll be on 6
myself...

Keith N4ZQ