While expensive operations may be unsuitable for general consumption, this kind
of validation may be useful in special cases and offline jobs, notably in
"data" migrations. So I think we should consider supporting them via an
argument to atomic().

Be that as it may, so long as we do not plan to change global behavior, we
should fix the documentation. The current text and example code strongly imply
that FKs are checked at the end of atomic blocks, even though they manage to
avoid saying it explicitly.

Shai.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/F0A7E950-24FE-457C-877D-905EA3E9AA65%40platonix.com.