> i dont belive in adding default names to environment variables, they're up
> to the user to define

Javier, I think you missed what Florian was talking about. He was
suggesting there shouldn't be default *values* for some settings.

> I personally rather have no solution in Django itself before forcing a
> half-baked one down everyone. Also please note that the bar to add this to
> Django is very high since it can (at least for things like django-environ)
> easily live outside of Django with no realy downside.

I agree with this sentiment. The proliferation of libraries can be a bit
confusing, but I've not yet felt one solution was "the winner".

Using environment variables isn't even suitable for all situations. They
make sense for managed platforms like Heroku, or single process servers.
But on shared servers, they can be a security risk because other users can
potentially read them from the process:
https://www.diogomonica.com/2017/03/27/why-you-shouldnt-use-env-variables-for-secret-data/
. This is why Docker has a system for providing managed secrets through a
filesystem mount: https://docs.docker.com/engine/swarm/secrets/ .

--
Adam