You might have a point regarding the frequency of bumping the PBKDF iteration
setting. Is bumping it 5 times in 13 months really required? On the other hand
you might want to consider staying on the LTS releases and avoid issues such as
this, and the issue you’re describing is quite niche.

However, I would say that based on your previous posts to this mailing lists
around authentication that you are definitely in need of some form of federated
login/SSO for your several web properties. That would certainly alleviate this
issue and some of the other problems you’ve reported here.

Tom