I hope this helps, when working under windows (XP/7) this just works for me.

Replace <project> with whatever you have named it.

>From the directory above where the project was created create a batch file
(ie <project>.bat) containing the following

set <project>_HOME=%CD%

set DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=<project>.settings

set PYTHONPATH=%<project>_HOME%

You can add any other additional pythonpath requirements with the delimiter
of a semicolon ‘;’

You could also hardcode the “<project>_HOME” variable, but this is up to you

Once done the following should work for you via the command prompt.

Run the batch file above from the directory it was created in

<project>

cd <project>

manage.py shell