On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 1:49 AM, Dave Warren via dmarc-discuss
<dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017, at 04:23, Jim Popovitch via dmarc-discuss wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 11:13 PM, John Levine via dmarc-discuss
>> <dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org> wrote:
>> > I concur with Roland.  Looking at my failure reports, I see some from
>> > Hotmail and Linkedin and beyond that a few from Chinese and Russian
>> > ISPs generally reporting random spam that happened to randomly fake my
>> > domain.
>>
>> But what can you do about it?  What is the "value" of having that
>> information, and what is the "cost" of capturing it?
>
> To me, the value of these reports is pre-deployment, by carefully
> reviewing the reports you can identify any legitimate sources of mail
> which are not properly signed and aligned.
>
> As a company that currently has no employees beyond myself and only a
> few hundred clients, I was able to find a couple legitimate sources of
> mail coming from my own domain that had been previously overlooked.

I rolled out additional DMARC support for Mailman (outbound alignment)
recently, and to be honest I'm not yet convinced that all receivers
have a clue when verifying alignment... so it makes it much more
difficult, for me, to trust the data.    So... imho it's a waste of
time/effort building an archive of suspect data until faith can be
established in what is reported.

Here's a few examples for the same email:

Hotmail gets it right:
http://domainmail.org/dmarc-reports/hotmail.com%21netcoolusers.org%211485698400%211485784800.xml

ItaliaOnline gets it right:
http://domainmail.org/dmarc-reports/italiaonline.it%21netcoolusers.org%211485778386%211485778386.xml

VirginMedia gets it wrong:
http://domainmail.org/dmarc-reports/virginmedia.co.uk%21netcoolusers.org%211485734404%211485820804.xml

CSP-Net gets it wrong:
http://domainmail.org/dmarc-reports/bechu-vir0001.csp-net.ch%21netcoolusers.org%211485730804%211485817204.xml

So it's 50/50 for the same small sample of list traffic.   Do I care,
sure!   If someone from Virgin Media or CSP-Net wants to explain the
failures (or send me the RUFs that I already ask for) then I am all
ears.   Until then, I remain a skeptic.  ;-)

-Jim P.