In article <f0805363-09e9-4ba7-98d3-f2dba8809...@colmena.biz> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>I have some basic questions about the implementation of DMARC policies after
>reading some of the official documentation.
>
>For "p=quarantine", "rua=mailto:postmas...@example.biz"; (if specified) should
>receive periodic spam reports, correct?

Nope.  The policy and reporting are unrelated.  Recipients send a
daily summary of *all* of the mail they get with your domain on the
From: line, aligned or unaligned.  My policies are all p=none and I
get lots of rua= reports.

>If "p=reject", then "ruf=mailto:postmas...@example.biz"; is basically a "bounce
>address" for rejected messages, but if "ruf=mailto:"; is
>not going to be specified, then why would someone even consider specifying
>"p=reject" rather than "p=quarantine"?

Nope.  p=reject means the domain suggests you reject the message in the SMTP
session.

ruf= is for any message that is unaligned, regardless of what the recipient did
with it.
In practice almost nobody sends ruf= reports because of their privacy issues.

>Then there is the "pct=xx" parameter for the chosen policy.
>
>Does this mean that the chosen "p=" policy is intended to be applied uniformly
>at random (by a probabilistic lottery) to messages that
>fail the DMARC check, or by a more sophisticated method designed to catch the
>"spammiest"  xx% of messages failing the full DMARC
>check?

The former.

DMARC has nothing to do with what's "spammiest".  I get tons of spam
that is 100% DMARC compliant, while users of discussion lists like
this one know that there is plenty of real mail that is unaligned
because of DMARC's limitations.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",