Someone I know asked me what sort of bad things could happen if one published a broken DMARC record. Obviously, if your record is bad people won't follow your policies and you won't get your reports, but anything else? Have you ever heard of MTAs burping on a bad DMARC record?

I've looked at the C OpenDMARC and perl Mail::DMARC libraries and they both seem pretty sturdy: fetch a TXT record and if they find one, look for the tags they want and ignore everything else.

As an experiment, I added 32K of junk to the _dmarc.johnlevine.com TXT record and as far as I can tell, it's made no difference. I still get the same reports saying the same things. DNS libraries need to use TCP to fetch it but they all seem able to do that.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY