> On Apr 23, 2023, at 4:17 PM, Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 1:20 PM Hector Santos
> <hsantos=40isdg....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40isdg....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:
>>
>> With each year, that "temporary hack" becomes the new normal and it
>> will be harder to clean up. It is not the right way and I don't  its
>> too late to reverse.  However, it has been 17 years and DMARCbis is
>> not finished without some clean up in this area.
>
> It HAS NOT been 17 years for either DMARC (first published in 2011  and first
> submitted to IETF as informational in 2015) or DMARCbis. Let's at least use
> publicly available data points for time frames rather than time frames pulled
> out of thin air.

Wow.  I’ll apologize for the confusion. Allow me to paraphrase it:

“However, it has been 17 years since the evolution of SSP, DSAP, ADSP, ATPS and
now DMARCbis and unfortunately it is not finished without some clean up in this
area.”

A little better, I hope.

I see all of the as a DKIM Policy Model and DMARC just happens to be current
rendition of the concept.  I have worked with all of them and before that, we
did a real security analysis and requirements work.  Not sure if you
participated in this early DKIM wg work.

>> I can understand why DMARCbis's editor does not want to document
>> rewrite, but imto, can't be ignored anymore.   The details of a
>> rewrite can be quickly outlined.  To help the RFC process, maybe
>> DMARCbis could refer to the Functional Specifications of SSP (RFC5016)
>> Section 5.3, Item 10 which basically reinforces the idea that local
>> policy ALWAYS prevails and it is quite possible there will be
>> undesirable tearing down of secured submissions.  One possible
>> mitigation is to replaced it with a secured rewriter with a p=reject
>> policy.
>
> SSP is long gone and failed. Referencing something which failed to gain
> support many years ago is also not a path to go down.

I referenced the Functional Specification for SSP (RFC5016), not the SSP itself
which was still only in draft form.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-allman-dkim-ssp-02

The development and point of RFC4866 and RFC5016 was to help Eric and Jim
create SSP and thats when Levine’s ADSP stepped in.  From a software
engineering standpoint, the documents provided the security analysis and
requirements to make a "SSP” protocol.  It does not change the original
analysis or requirements.

Analysis of Threats Motivating DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4686

Requirements for a DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Signing Practices Protocol
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5016

Please review these, especially Section 5.3 of RFC5016.  I was sort of helping
DMARCbis.  It can refer that provision to maybe justify the rewrite.  After
all, it was a game changer in all this when it was added.

—
HLS