On 4/25/2023 9:06 PM, John Levine wrote:
It appears that Scott Kitterman  <skl...@kitterman.com> said:
My recollection is that a general formulation that I proposed had at least
some traction out of both groups:

[some appropriate description] domains MUST NOT publish restrictive DMARC
policies due to interoperability issues
This seems like a reasonable approach. As a purely practical point, I
cannot imagine this document getting through the IESG without some
clear guidance about DMARC's interop issues.

+1

PS: If anyone was going to suggest we just tell people how to change
their mailing lists to work around DMARC, don't go there.

I don't follow.

A "no change" recommendation caused problems.  The current fix is:

1) "Rewrite From" to tear down restrictive DMARC security,
2) Prevent Subscription/Submission of restrictive DMARC domains.

#1 is undesirable. Empirical practice on a different internet has shown when following #2, for an existing list with members with restrictive domains, they will essentially become Read-Only List members because any submission/reply by them will be blocked.

--
Hector Santos,
https://santronics.com