+1

On 4/27/2023 10:11 AM, Brotman, Alex wrote:

In summary:

“Report senders SHOULD attempt delivery via SMTP using STARTTLS to all receivers. Transmitting these reports via a secured session is preferrable.”

I don’t think we should add this in, but receivers could deploy DANE/MTA-STS if they wanted to ensure senders who honor those will use TLS.

--

Alex Brotman

Sr. Engineer, Anti-Abuse & Messaging Policy

Comcast

*From:* dmarc <dmarc-boun...@ietf.org> *On Behalf Of * Hector Santos
*Sent:* Wednesday, April 26, 2023 4:29 PM
*To:* Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com>
*Cc:* IETF DMARC WG <dmarc@ietf.org>
*Subject:* Re: [dmarc-ietf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmarc-aggregate-reporting-10.txt

    On Apr 26, 2023, at 3:50 PM, Scott Kitterman
    <skl...@kitterman.com <mailto:skl...@kitterman.com>> wrote:

    I think it would be crazy in 2023 not to use STARTTLS is offered.

+1

    Personally I interpreted it more as employ a secure transport
    and think through if you really want to be sending the report if
    you can't.

    I think there's some room for interpretation and I think that's
    fine.

I believe connectivity is independent of the application.

All connections SHOULD assume the highest possible security available today.

For unsolicited email, the presumption would be:

Port 25
STARTTLS

If I was start performing reports (and I think I will), that is how I would begin, naturally, with outbound SMTP clients with optional TLS if offered.

Sorry if I was not focused with the main question,

—
HLS

Hector Santos,
https://santronics.com