Douglas,

In general, you can’t impose or mandate TLS under PORT 25 unsolicited,
unauthenticated sessions. You can do this with ESMTP AUTH a.k.a SUBMISSION
Protocol (RFC6409) which is Port 587. Under this port, you can mandate more
Authentication/Authorization and mail format correctness than with Port 25 and
not using ESMTP AUTH.

So for example, for PCI, you must use A/A mechanisms probably under Port 587
because it can be mandated. But not under Port 25.

—
HLS