On 5/1/2023 6:51 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

Been there, done that.  For the message I'm replying to, I have:

  spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=ietf.org;
  dkim=pass reason="Original-From: transformed" header.d=google.com;
  dkim=pass (whitelisted) header.d=ietf.org
    header.b=jAsjjtsp (ietf1);
dkim=fail (signature verification failed, whitelisted) header.d=ietf.org
    header.b=QuwLQGvz (ietf1)

However, not all signatures can be verified. Mailman tries and preserve most header fields, but not all. For example, they rewrite MIME-Version: from scratch and don't save the old one. So if a poster signs that field and writes it differently (e.g. with a comment) MLM transformation cannot be undone.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-vesely-dmarc-mlm-transform

And this was my result for your message, separating lines for easier reading:

 dkim=pass header.d=ietf.org header.s=ietf1 header.i=ietf.org;
 adsp=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=ietf.org;
 dmarc=fail policy=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=ietf.org (unauthorized
signer);

 dkim=pass header.d=ietf.org header.s=ietf1 header.i=ietf.org;
 adsp=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=ietf.org;
 dmarc=fail policy=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=ietf.org (unauthorized
signer);

 dkim=fail (DKIM_BAD_SYNTAX) header.d=none header.s=none header.i=none;
 adsp=dkim-fail author.d=tana.it signer.d=;
 dmarc=dkim-fail policy=none author.d=tana.it signer.d= (unauthorized signer);

 dkim=fail (DKIM_BODY_HASH_MISMATCH) header.d=tana.it header.s=delta
header.i=tana.it;
         adsp=dkim-fail author.d=tana.it signer.d=tana.it;
         dmarc=dkim-fail policy=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=tana.it
(originating signer);

Four signatures were added to your submission and the only one that counts is the top one, the last one added.

It failed DMARC because tana.it did not authorized ietf.org. You can easily resolve this by adding atps=y to your DMARC record:

v=DMARC1; p=none; atps=y; rua=mailto:dmarca...@tana.it; ruf=mailto:dmarcf...@tana.it;

and add an ATPS sub-domain record authorizing ietf.org in your dana.it zone:

    pq6xadozsi47rluiq5yohg2hy3mvjyoo._atps  TXT ("v=atps01; d=ietf.org;")

Do that and all ATPS compliant verifiers should show a DMARC=pass:

 dkim=pass header.d=ietf.org header.s=ietf1 header.i=ietf.org;
 adsp=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=ietf.org;
 dmarc=pass policy=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=ietf.org (ATPS signer);

For a short list of signers, I updated my DMARC evaluator to also support ASL "Authorized Signer List" to avoid the extra ATPS record. So doing this will work across my evaluator for smaller scale mail senders

v=DMARC1; p=none; atps=y; asl=ietf.org; rua=mailto:dmarca...@tana.it; ruf=mailto:dmarcf...@tana.it;

This will skip atps=y because asl=ietf.org was satisfied. It was show how it was authorized:

 dmarc=pass policy=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=ietf.org (ASL signer);

Any ATPS or ASL idea will give us the author-defined trust of ietf.org as a 3rd party signer.

That said, keeping with the suggestion DMARCBis should add MLS/MLM semantics, I believe when the Receiver is receiving mail for a MLS/MLM, it should have the following updated modern consideration for a MLS/MLM:

1) It should honor policy first, by check for restrictive domains

2) It should honor the domain restrictive policy to avoid creating new security problems and avoid delivery problems. This means to implement subscription and submission controls. DMARCbis should pass the buck back to the restrictive domain who must deal with user's needs or not.

3) It should check if the submission's author domain authorizes the MLM signing domain by finding a ATPS record, if so....

3.1) it can continue as the 3rd party signer and also keep the From as is, unchanged, or

3.2) it can also consider to rewrite. If rewrite is performed, the signing domain should have a security that does not allow any Display Attack Replays with the now altered 5322.From identity.

--
Hector Santos,
https://santronics.com