> On Jun 8, 2023, at 10:20 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2023 at 6:00 AM Tobias Herkula
> <tobias.herkula=401und1...@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:401und1...@dmarc.ietf.org>>
> wrote:
>> My team recently concluded an extensive study on the current use and
>> performance of DMARC. We analyzed a staggering 3.2 billion emails, and the
>> insights drawn are quite enlightening. Of these, 2.2 billion emails
>> (approximately 69%) passed the DMARC check successfully. It's quite an
>> achievement, reflective of our collective hard work in fostering a safer,
>> more secure email environment.
>>

>> However, upon further analysis, it's evident that a mere 1.6% (or thirty-six
>> million) of these DMARC-passed emails relied exclusively on the Sender
>> Policy Framework (SPF) for validation. This is a remarkably low volume
>> compared to the overall DMARC-passed traffic, raising questions about SPF's
>> relevancy and the load it imposes on the DNS systems.
>>

>> Given the current use case scenarios and the desire to optimize our
>> resources, I propose that we explore the possibility of removing the SPF
>> dependency from DMARC. This step could result in a significant reduction in
>> DNS load, increased efficiency, and an accurate alignment with our
>> predominant use cases.
>>
>> [...]
>>

> Does anyone have consonant (or dissonant) data?

Thank you for inviting feedback on Mr. Herkula's interesting DMARC2 proposal,
focusing on detaching SPF from DMARC's evaluation process. I would like to
share my thoughts on this matter.

While the principle behind the proposed DMARC2 is valuable, I remain sceptical
about the effectiveness of separating SPF from DMARC to alleviate DNS load. For
various reasons, notably the layer issue – SPF being an SMTP protocol rather
than a payload protocol – SPF is unlikely to be fully discarded.

It's worth recalling that SPF's contribution has served the email community
well, despite certain node transition issues such as relays and forwards. The
optional integration of SPF within DMARC1 from the onset might have simplified
the process, mitigating the challenges associated with the merged results and
reducing the occurrence of false positives, which in many cases has begun to
give domains a second thought on using p=reject|quarantine policies.

A potential DMARC2 proposal should, in my opinion, maintain backward
compatibility, making SPF an optional requirement.  The real gap with DMARC1
has been the lack of diversity in policies, and effectively, the DMARC2
proposal could add a new "policy" that doesn't require SPF evaluation.

For context, we've amassed nearly two decades worth of data on SPF, DKIM, ADSP,
and DMARC, providing considerable insight into the longevity and effectiveness
of these measures.

It's crucial to establish that SPF was deliberately designed to, and in many
cases will, use a HARDFAIL result to preempt payload transfer or its acceptance
(at DATA). This is precisely why the SUBMITTER add-on ESMTP protocol was
introduced as part of SenderID – the payload version of SPF – to relay the
Purported Responsible Address (PRA) at the SMTP MAIL FROM command.

By reviving the SUBMITTER protocol for DMARC purposes, servers/receivers can
check the DMARC policy at SMTP, offering valuable foresight into the email
domain's expectations prior to payload delivery. This approach allows for a
more optimized process, ensuring that SPF is evaluated at MAIL FROM or RCPT TO,
once the recipient address's acceptability is established per RFC 5321, Section
3.3 Mail Transactions' recommendations.

It's important to note that SPF-compliant servers – as evidenced recently by
gmail.com – can reject SPF failures at SMTP independent of DMARC. For domains
using SPF hard failures (-ALL), DMARC is not mandatory and in many cases, a
hard SPF policy vs hard  DMARC policies are mutual exclusive.  Odds are good,
if SPF was disabled, DMARC2 could yield the same way. I suggest that the
proposed DMARC2 revisit the coupling of SOFTFAIL SPF results with DMARC2 policy
analysis.

While DMARC has introduced complexities and some uncertainty, my recent
analysis reveals that domains without DMARC, but implementing hard SPF
policies, experienced minimal issues, except for gmail.com domain members. The
problem appears to be more prominent with ESPs, particularly those with a
lenient DMARC p=nonen since ESPs with strong policies are restricted from
subscriptions and submissions.

In conclusion, the evolution to a DMARC2 should focus on addressing these
concerns, potentially including a "rewrite=1" option to mailing lists with
appropriate permissions. This could potentially make it more palatable to
modify the author's address, while respecting the hard-won email security
principles.

Thanks

---
Hector Santos