Great question.

I’ve been around since the beginning as a very strong DKIM Policy advocate,
watching everything, my dumb attempt to summarize:

1) The idea of “reporting” was considered a testing thing.  Redundant,.
DomainKeys and DKIM had -t test keys.  I believed and others as well, felt
reporting was an attack vector. I included reporting ideas in DSAP but the
format was not defined. The section was left TBD.

2) Murray was working on reporting methods with a format.  He was obviously
filling a need out there.

3) I did not hear of anyone honoring ADSP rejects because of the known indirect
mail problems.

4) ADSP was abandoned and replaced with Super ADSP aka DMARC which introduced a
reporting and compliance concept.  It had a strong policy idea.

5) I totally under estimated the administrator direct for reports.  But I still
didn’t believe it in.  It’s for testing only, right?

6) I did not hear of anyone rejecting on DMARC p=reject. So it was just about
Reporting & Conformance.

7) Then YAHOO.COM <http://yahoo.com/>, the patented inventor of this all this
starting with DomainKeys, the first with a built-in `o=` tag policy concept,
was the first big system to honor published DMARC strict policies.

8) Now DMARC become about Handling and proper SMTP integration with SPF.

The end!

Happy July 4th Weekend. Be safe!!

—
HLS