Overall, DMARCbis has a “SPF comes before DMARC” conflict where SPF can
“preempt” DMARC.

The implementation suggestion is leveraging an existing ESMTP extension
capability to obtain the DMARC policy at SMTP for one reason - to help DMARC
fit better with SMTP-level SPF processing.  Otherwise DMARC has an
implementation design presumption that SPF+DMARC will always be processed
together and this is not always true.

The SUBMITTER/PRA was a patented (donated to the IETF Trust) optimizer for the
payload version of SPF called SenderID by passing the extracted PRA “Purported
Responsible Address” with the reverse-path. I know this. Enable the ESMTP
extension and your receiver will see many transactions come in submitter
information.  So it is still being used.

Does have both data points (Reverse-Path, PRA)  available at SMTP MAIL FROM
state help?

I was not thinking using it for SenderID (SPF is sufficient, long decided) but
using it for DMARC purposes.

Currently,  my mailer has a SPF Reject Before Data out of the box logic.  To
support DMARC,  do I delay SPF rejection?   One way for me to support existing
operations and DMARCbis would be to get the DMARC policy, if any, to see if
there is an overriding “auth=dkim” tag or maybe a “p=none” thus overriding the
SPF reject at SMTP and continue with the payload transfer overhead where DKIM
can be evaluated.

That is basically it.

DMARC has an implicit design, "To be compliant with DMARC,  Receivers SHOULD
NOT reject with SPF before DMARC can be evaluated.”  It is predictably ignored
by many receivers, in particular by systems long existing with SPF and have not
put all their marbles in an DMARC yet.

Fortunately, DMARCbis already mentions the possibility for DMARC domains to be
aware of - SPF can be processed first and preempt any DMARC processing.  I
believe it is sufficient and there is no real need to go further with a
possible implementation note for adventurous explorers.

Thanks

—
HLS