I reviewed the list of DMARC-publishing PSL entries and realized that the
10-fold increase in PSL DMARC participation was due to the success of RFC
9091.  Private registries are deploying policies to protect their
sub-registry clients.

It is indeed unfortunate that concerns about PSL accuracy were not raised
prior to that document being published, as it could have included a
requirement to add a PSL tag.

But since a PSD tag was not specified in RFC 9091, we have a problem:
 Registries have published policies to be interpreted as the default policy
for an organizational domain one label lower, but the tree walk interprets
it as an organizational domain, leading to the sibling impersonation
vulnerability.  The RFC 9091 defense suddenly becomes an attack vector.

Options seem to be:
1) Publish an errata or amendment to RFC 9091 and wait for all
DMARC-publishing PSL entries to add the PSD=Y flag before publishing
DMARCbis,
or
2) Specify that the tree walk stops at the lower of PSD=N, one label below
PSD=Y, or one label below the PSL entry.    This allows domain owners to
correct for missing PSL entries that cause the selected organizational
domain to land too high.   (Another tag strategy could be created to allow
domain owners to correct for PSL entries that land too low, but we don't
have that defined now.)

What will we do?

Doug Foster