Neil, to your question about mitigating false SPF PASS:

There are three possible mitigations by senders:

   - Drop the SPF policy so that messages evaluate to SPF None.   A few
   domains do this.
   - Change the SPF Policy to return SPF Neutral for cloud services, as
   currently proposed.
   - Provide a DMARC option for "DKIM only", which has been proposed and
   rejected.

All of these options depend on a sender being willing to give up SPF Pass.
 In my own reporting data, I see some occurrences of DNS Timeout on DKIM
checks, an event over which I have no control, so I don't know that even I
want to give up SPF Pass.   I don't think we can expect senders to choose
any of the options, even if all three were to be made available.

The necessary response is for evaluators to identify those domains that
reliably carry DKIM signatures, and to configure those domains for "DKIM
Only" processing at reception.   Failures should be routed to quarantine
for further investigation.    Even in my relatively modest data set, I have
about 2000 domains that are candidates for this treatment.   By comparison,
I have only about 20 domains that use DKIM signatures with SPF None to
avoid the problem.

Doug Foster