Yes, it will work, almost exactly as you descibe actually (though there are better ways of going about it using a file separate from /etc/hosts). Read the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file for examples and further detail. (There is even an example that changes all domains matching doubleclick.net to 127.0.0.1, which when combined with apache and virtual hosting makes for a very simple yet effective ad blocker) Eric S. Johansson writes:
I'm very impressed by the capabilities of dnsmasg but I try to find out if what I want to can be done without going to full bind. the network here is a classic red/green/orange security zone. On the green network is my wife's Linux machine and my Windows machine (when you're handicapped and need real speech recognition i.e. NaturallySpeaking, you have no choices). My wife's Linux machine is also where I do a fair amount of my work and use for backup of other machines on the raid 1 array. In the orange zone is a bunch of machines but is going to be reduced to 2. A Digital Alpha running debian and used for amateur radio tropospheric propagation predictions, and a duck soup machine running several virtual machines (xen based) for publicly exposed services and e-mail (although that may be moved to my wife's machine for a variety of reasons) the collection of 4 virtual machines is hosting a variety of domains (approximately 10) at last count. in the current incarnation, I have multiple zones internally overlaying the name spaces of the virtual domains so that I can use the same names internally as well as externally plus some additional internal only names. In reality, I don't really need zones. All I need is to be able to associate any string with an IP address and then through convention, use the string that external domain names would use to access the same machines. in theory, if I was to put in my host file:
1.2.3.4 abc.com
1.2.3.5 xyz.com and be able to refer to those domain names and get back the right internal address, I would be relatively happy. Yes, I am aware of the problem of overlaying an external domain within internal representation of the same name space but it is a price I'm willing to pay since I can always use dig with an external name server or run a separate internal name server that is uncontaminated. so, will it work or do I need another cup of coffee this morning? --- eric
--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5
The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that