Ok, this is something... let me check...

If you're you referring to these pieces of code:

if (path != NULL) {
                        /* log this as error, since it probably is */
                        str = t_strdup_printf("%s (%s missing?)", str, path);
                        e_error(authdb_event(request), "%s", str);
                } else if (status == PAM_AUTH_ERR) {
                        str = t_strconcat(str, "
("AUTH_LOG_MSG_PASSWORD_MISMATCH"?)", NULL);
                        if (request->set->debug_passwords) {
                                str = t_strconcat(str, " (given password: ",
                                                  request->mech_password,
                                                  ")", NULL);
                        }

and:

void auth_request_log_login_failure(struct auth_request *request,
                                    const char *subsystem,
                                    const char *message)

I'm not a programmer, let alone a C guru, but these extracts look like password failure logging. Are you sure they are recording successful authentications for the logs?