It took me a while to understand that smtpd parameters affect both incoming and
outgoing mail, and in my case, they need to be different.  I needed to override
the parameters from main.cf.

In case someone is having similar issues, I was able to fix my in/out mails by
changing the following in master.cf:
~~~
# port 25 incoming mail from other servers
smtp       inet  n       -       y       -       -       smtpd -v
   -o smtpd_relay_restrictions=defer_unauth_destination
   -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_auth_destination,reject

# port 587 outgoing mail from thunderbird client
submission  inet n      -       y       -       -       smtpd -v
   -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
   -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated
   -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
   -o smtpd_relay_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
   -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated
~~~

Now I am trying to get postfix/dovecot to get my internal mail from/to
postmaster & root.  Right now I have this in my file 'aliases':
~~~
postmaster:    root
~~~