On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 23:54 -0800, vehemens wrote:
> On Friday 27 February 2009 01:45:50 pm Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Dave Airlie <airl...@linux.ie> wrote:
> > > Prompted by how well it worked with Intel, and changes in my personal
> > > life leading to reduced time availability (except at 4am...) I'm going to
> > > clarify the process for getting patches upstream now. (a...@amd also
> > > trialed this to get r600 upstream).
> > >
> > > 1. Apart from maybe minor changes I will no longer pull drm.git patches
> > > into Linux kernel tree automatically.
> > >
> > > 2. All patches should be sent to dri-devel and me against my drm-next
> > > tree.
> > >
> > > 3. Patches must conform to kernel coding standards and have acceptable
> > > checkpatch.pl results. My only major issues with checkpatch.pl is 80 char
> > > line length restrictions, please try your best but don't make the code
> > > really ugly to achieve this. Some scripts/people are too anal. This also
> > > means no kernel version checks upstream (however we might be able to
> > > convince people about this, if we get build from Linus tree working).
> > >
> > > 4. I will accept sub-module maintainers who want to maintain their driver
> > > in a git tree, but it'll take a bit of time for me to trust you that I'll
> > > pull directly, and patches should still pass by the list. Ask Eric how to
> > > do this.
> > >
> > > 5. if someone wants to step up and maintain drm.git as a going concern
> > > let me know, I'm glad to help if I can.
> >
> > Sounds good to me - one question: should we divorce libdrm from the
> > drm.git repo?
>
> As long as it stays on xorg, I wouldn't object as it would allow drm.git
> master to be used for leading edge development.

Not really, As long as people are allowed to bypass drm git and make
infrastructure changes, it means that in order for anyone else to try
and work in drm git, they have to do the work of back-porting other
peoples work before they can do their own work.  There needs to be a
central point for drm development and that point is not Linus' tree.

robert.

> > cheers,
> > Kristian

Robert C. Noland III <rnol...@2hip.net>