Hi,

Apologies to everyone for the long delay in replying.

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:42:11AM +0100, Dan O'Donovan wrote:
> You're correct that the -K option should prevent the server and the routers
> in between from closing the connection.
> I tried using the -I option in the same way that you did but it didn't work
> for me.  I suspect that the keep-alives sent with the -K actually prevent
> the link from ever appearing as "idle", although I'm not entirely sure.

This does seem to be the case - I'll look at fixing it.

> We decided to use 'autossh' to launch 'dbclient' and monitor the connection
> by sending its own link test messages.  See:
> http://www.harding.motd.ca/autossh/
> That works well for us.  However, we still had one issue.  If dbclient
> failed to set up the reverse tcp forward, it wouldn't exit with an error so
> autossh would never know.
> So I made the following minor code change (perhaps this could be considered
> for a future release of dropbear?):

This looks sensible (exiting if a -R forward fails when -N
is specified). I wonder if anyone would have problems if
they're using -N and multiple -L/-R options and don't mind
of only some of them fail - maybe it should be a separate
commandline flag.

Cheers,
Matt