If dbclient is given proxy command which does not start with exec, shell
process is lingering alongside proxy command process. However, I've found that
OpenSSH client (ProxyCommand option) prepends exec automatically.

I think it would be convenient if dbclient added exec by default, but this will
break if someone is already using explicit exec in -J argument. Note that
OpenSSH client also breaks with exec.

So options are:

1. Just prepend exec to all proxy commands and make too clever people fix their
scripts.
2. Check if proxy command starts with exec, if not, prepend it.
3. Add separate -o ProxyCommand option prepending exec (it also should
substitute %h, %p, and %r to be compatible with OpenSSH). Leave -J as is for
compatibility but mark it as deprecated.

What is the best way?

--
Regards,
Konstantin