>   The bigger issue here is why not reread keys at every new session? That
seems to like the right thing to do in any case?

Performance...
Why should you do that.
You should not change your host keys everytime, because the connecting
client will have a conflict and get a warning about a possible man in the
middle attack because it cannot verify the host since the hostkey is
changed.

Simple way is to generate the new hostkeys, kill the main dropbear and
start it again.
Should be a very simple script...  and the current running sessions are not
affected.

Hans