Hi Tim, I use DSpace 6.3.

Sorry for late response but I was testing my website: when I removed
ImageMagick Image Thumbnail and ImageMagick PDF Thumbnail filters and got
back to default DSpace ones, I restored text extraction functionality.
Maybe something was set up incorrectly (apart from those two ImageMagick
filters, I had additional settings enabled as
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.ImageMagickThumbnailFilter.flatten,
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.ImageMagickThumbnailFilter.cmyk_profile, and
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.ImageMagickThumbnailFilter.srgb_profile, with
according values).

Anyways, the default filters fit the bills.

Peter