We recently turned on the search snippets/hit highlighting
<https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Discovery> function for our IR
(currently running DSpace 7.4).

It works, but only on certain documents. You can see an example of this by
searching our repository for "parties":
https://udspace.udel.edu/search?query=parties&spc.page=2

All of the items in the search results have been OCR'd, so if you download
the item and search for the term, it's findable -- but I'm not clear on why
snippets would show on some items, but not on others.  From what I can see,
this isn't format-based -- some PDFs show snippets, while others don't --
though it looks as though documents from our digital collections (digitized
newspapers and other documents) are much less likely to have snippets
available. Similarly, PDFs that were generated from slidedecks also aren't
showing snippets, and phrases from these sorts of documents don't return
any hits when searched for in our repository.

I'm concerned -- does this indicate that our indexing might not be
functioning effectively/completely, or that we might have turned on a
setting to selectively index some collections, and not others?

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.

Paige

---------------------
*Meeting/regular work hours: Monday - Thursday, 9am-5pm; limited email on
Friday mornings.*

Dr. Paige C. Morgan
(she/her/they)
Digital Publishing and Copyright Librarian,
Head of Digital Initiatives & Preservation
University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press (on Lenape land
<https://native-land.ca/maps/territories/lenape/>)
Morris 118
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8076-7356
paig...@udel.edu
302.831.7153

Make an appointment to meet with me: https://calendly.com/paigecm/ (Meetings
available via Zoom, phone, etc.)
*** I observe email-free evenings and weekends. ***