Hi,

Documentation on modifying the Mirage 2 theme can be found in the DSpace
6.x docs
at
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC6x/Mirage+2+Configuration+and+Customization
(It's unclear what you mean by the "background picture" as there is no
default background picture in the Mirage 2 theme's homepage or similar)

Please keep in mind that DSpace 6.x will enter "end of life" as of July 1
of this year.  So, we recommend new installations start with DSpace 7.x
instead of DSpace 6.x
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Support+for+DSpace+5+and+6+is+ending+in+2023

DSpace 7 is available
at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Release+Notes