Hi Deborah,

At this time, the behavior is the same in DSpace 7 as in DSpace 5.  The
"metadata.hide" settings will hide the metadata field from everyone except
full Administrators.  See the docs
at
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Configuration+Reference#ConfigurationReference-HidingMetadata

There have been some occasional discussions of setting permissions on
metadata fields...but that has no immediate plans because it's rather
complex.

Tim