Hi Ed,

Yikes, that doesn't sound fun.  I don't have any great advice on this one
other than to perhaps search Stackoverflow.com for similar issues (or even
Google).  Maybe you'll find clues there which can help determine what has
gone wrong.  My best guess is your log4j2 configuration has somehow
confused log4j, but that's a guess.  I've not seen or heard of this sort of
problem with out-of-the-box DSpace.

For example, here's one similar report on
StackOverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52772933/log4j2-rolling-file-overwrites-existing-log

(I googled "log4j2 log overwrite")

Tim