On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:15:23PM -0500, Abdullah Al-Dahlawi wrote:
>    Greeting ALL
>    I am wondering if it is possible to monitor the ZFS ARC cache hits
>    using DTRACE. In other words, would be possible to know how many ARC
>    cache hits have been resulted by a particular application such as
>    firefox ??

You can start with:

  dtrace -n 'sdt:::arc-hit { @[execname] = count(); }'

Or to filter just on firefox:

  dtrace -n 'sdt:::arc-hit /execname == "firefox-bin"/ { @ = count(); }'

If neither of them work, it just means that that particular sdt provider
probe wasn't available, and we can get this information from using the fbt
provider instead.

Note: ZFS prefetch is pretty effective, so streaming reads from disk will often
show up as arc hits since ZFS has put the data in cache before the application
reads it.  Which is the intent.

Brendan