From: Philipp Wollermann <philipp.wollerm...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 11:45 AM
To: Fujinaka, Todd <todd.fujin...@intel.com>
Cc: e1000-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [E1000-devel] ixgbe 5.8.1 dropped support for NBase-T in X550

Thank you for your quick response and detailed information, Todd. I totally
understand where you are coming from.

Per your suggestion, I have now tried to manually enable the auto negotiation
advertising of the NIC to include 2500baseT and 5000baseT via ethtool:

ethtool -s enp65s0f0 advertise 0x1800000001028

However I cannot get this to work:
- With vanilla ixgbe 5.7.1 and my patched ixgbe 5.8.1 the NIC advertise 2.5G
and 5G by default after booting, but as soon as I touch the "ethtool -s $ifname
advertise" setting in any way, the NIC will no longer advertise 2.5G and 5G
speeds until a reboot and only offers 100M, 1G, 10G.
- With vanilla ixgbe 5.8.1 it does not advertise 2.5G or 5G by default after a
boot, and I cannot get it to advertise these speeds via ethtool.

FWIW, ethtool also does not show 2.5G or 5G as supported or advertised link
modes.

The README of ixgbe 5.8.1 indeed says:
"Devices that support AQRate (X550 and later) will include 2.5 Gbps and 5 Gbps
in the speeds that the driver advertises during auto-negotiation, even though
ethtool will not display 2.5 Gbps or 5 Gbps as "Supported link modes" or
"Advertised link modes." These speeds are only available through unmodified
auto-negotiation. You cannot use ethtool -s advertise to force auto-negotiation
to advertise 2.5 Gbps or 5 Gbps."

I have tried with ethtool 4.19 from the latest Debian 10.5 and also the latest
ethtool 5.8 from kernel.org.

Can you confirm that you're able to enable 2.5G and 5G advertising via ethtool?

Kind regards,
Philipp