Do you know why the driver is poorly integrated with the PHY on these
devices?  There is an unmitigated thermal loss on X552; PHY gets too
hot and connectivity drops, you usually have to cycle the system.  It
should be possible to reset the PHY and other Intel NICs implement
this.

See:
https://tinkertry.com/how-to-work-around-intermittent-intel-x557-network-outages-on-12-core-xeon-d