Hi,

I have a board based on Intel C3000 (Denverton) processor which has an
embedded X553 controller, attached to uPC MDIO there's a PHY that I have to
access from user space. Using in-tree ixgbe driver I can access it although
ioctl call takes ~40ms to complete (as below) which is too slow.

In-tree-driver ioctl performance:
$ sudo strace -T --trace=ioctl ./phytool read eno1/0/2
ioctl(3, SIOCGMIIREG, 0x7fffc81f42c0)   = 0 <0.039746>
0x0141

Using a test program which call PHY read 1000 times the program takes 40s
to complete although it uses 22ms of user + system time.
$ time sudo ./mdio_ioctl_performance
1000 IOCTL Mode reads
real    0m40.050s
user    0m0.011s
sys     0m0.011s

Changing to out-of-tree driver (5.19.6) external MDIO access does not work
at all even though ethernet ports work. I've noticed that using out-of-tree
driver the mdio bus disappears from
"/sys/class/mdio_bus/ixgbe-mdio-0000:05:00.0"

I've tried Kernel 5.4, 5.15 and 6.5 and the result is the same both using
in-tree and out-of-tree driver.

Any Idea on how to enable external MDIO access in out-of-tree driver or
improve performance using in-tree driver?