The Crowther lab at ETH-Zürich (starting on October 1st 2017) are seeking 2
postdoctoral
positions to conduct competitive research in quantitative ecosystem ecology at
a global
scale. The research will aim to improve our understanding of how the physiology
or
composition of biological communities affects ecosystem functioning (primarily
carbon
cycling) at a global scale. We seek ecologists who are familiar with Earth
System Models
that will enable them to identify critical uncertainties that can be addressed
through
experimental or observational research.

Consistently ranked in the top 10 universities in the world, ETH-Zürich
provides an ideal
location to perform this quantitative research. The Department of Environmental
Systems
Science boasts a highly interdisciplinary group of world-leading experts that
provide a
good opportunity for collaboration. This will be reflected in this lab, which
will bring
together experts with highly different skillsets to promote interdisciplinary
research.

Starting salaries will be CHF 86,300 (~$89,000) per annum, or higher depending
on
experience. Post-docs will have the opportunity to design projects for, work
with, and
advise PhD students who can help to develop their broader research lines.

The candidate must hold a Ph.D. in a related topic. All research will require
strong
quantitative/analytical stills, with considerable experience handling big
datasets and
generating models. Experience in Earth System Modeling or complex system
analysis will
be favorable. The researcher should be driven to lead
experimental/observational studies
or meta-analyses that generate the empirical data needed to parameterize
ecosystem
models.

Our previous post contained a link to a page that will go live on September 29;
in the
meantime, please send applications to “thomas.crowthe...@gmail.com” with the
subject
line “ETH Postdoc ESM”.