I would really file to use eCryptFS for off-site backup.  Its properties
seems to be almost ideally suited to my needs.  The final missing thing is
the filename encryption.  I hope that is coming soon.  Also, I would be
really happy if eCryptFS was usable with sshfs.

Now, to the problem I have.  I am running Gentoo with 64-bit kernel
2.6.24-r3 and ecrypt-utils version 40.  This are the current versions
available in Gentoo.  I followed the documentation to the letter (I
believe) and I have the access key retention module, MD5, AES and ecryptfs
modules ready and loaded.  The next step is to mount a directory (I am
using Ext3) with all the default options.  And here it all goes wrong with
an error code -22.  The syslog contains the following:
-----
ecryptfs_parse_options: The mount_crypt_stat global_default_cipher_name
set to: [aes]
ecryptfs_parse_options: The mount_crypt_stat
global_default_cipher_key_size set to: [16]
Unable to allocate crypto cipher with name [aes]; rc = [-2]
Error attempting to initialize key TFM cipher with name = [aes]; rc = [-2]
Error attempting to initialize cipher with name = [aes] and key size =
[16]; rc = [-2]
Error parsing options; rc = [-22]
-----
I could not find any help with this problem anywhere on the web.

Thank you for help in advance.

Karol