Hello, it is indeed enabled on the English Wikipedia, but it will depend on
when the student created their account as to whether they'll see it.  The
newcomer homepage can be enabled on older accounts through Preferences >
User Profile > Newcomer Editor features.

Sara

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 at 14:04, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2...@reagle.org> wrote:

> I had a student mention their "mentor" -- not WikiEdu staff -- and showed
> me a "newcomer" page I've never seen.
>
> Looking around, I see this:
>
>    https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Feature_summary
>
> In this enabled on English Wikipedia? I wonder why one student has this
> and not others?
>
> —Joseph

Dr Sara Thomas
Programme Manager, Wikimedia UK
07803 505 172
https://wikimedia.org.uk/home/scotland/
<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Wikimedia_in_Scotland>

<https://donate.wikimedia.org.uk/>
*I work part time, my usual days are Monday - Thursday.*

*Wikimedia UK* <https://wikimedia.org.uk/> is the national chapter for the
global Wikimedia open knowledge movement.

Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/wikimediauk>, Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/WikimediaUK>, LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/496119>, and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wikimediauk/>.

Wikimedia UK is a Registered Charity No.1144513 (England & Wales) SC048644
(Scotland). Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and
Scotland, Registered No. 6741827.

Registered Office Ground Floor, Europoint, 5 - 11 Lavington Street, London
SE1 0NZ
<https://maps.google.com/?q=5+-+11+Lavington+Street,+London+SE1+0NZ&entry=gmail&source=g>
.

Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects).