Hi,

>> here comes a release 0.17 of EFI Boot Guard. It's primarily consists of
>> internal improvements, specifically to support latest gnuefi release
>> 3.0.18. There are also several new compile-time features such as a boot
>> delay to help debugging errors, silent boot and adjustable env filename.
>> And the test pipeline received valgrind support.
>> Thanks to all contributors!
> Hi,
>
> There is a build bug with the native build on armhf due to gnu-efi-3.0.18. it
> leads to the following error message:
> ```
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> configure: error: objcopy doesn't support --target=efi-app but gnu-efi >=
> 3.0.16
> ```
> Found during Debian build of the efibootguard armhf package.

We need an exception for armhf to unconditionally use objcopy's binary copy
mode as there's apparently no EFI target for binutils on armhf. Instead, the
crt0 composes the PE/COFF header directly, see
https://github.com/ncroxon/gnu-efi/blob/master/gnuefi/crt0-efi-arm.S#L25-L149.
The same is true for riscv64
(https://github.com/ncroxon/gnu-efi/blob/master/gnuefi/crt0-efi-riscv64.S). So
for both, we need to unconditionally use objcopy in binary copy mode.

This has and still works on Debian bookworm/stable with gnu-efi 3.0.15. For
Debian trixie/testing and sid/unstable which are now on gnu-efi 3.0.18, we need
to adapt and explicitly handle these cases. I'll post a patch soon.

Kind regards,
  Christian

P.S.: Note that gnu-efi has a new home on GitHub since 2024-03-22 according to
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnu-efi/ which is why I linked to the new one
above as it supports line ranges to be linked to.

--
Dr. Christian Storm
Siemens AG, Technology, T CED OES-DE