Hi Mike,

This seems to be a duplicate post (see
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA-1500-FlexRadio-6400-td7665007.html),
though I'm not sure if your questions were fully answered the first time.

First, to search the archives of this reflector, go to
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Elecraft-f365791.topics.html and use
the search box, top right.

To get the KPA-1500 to track the exact frequency of the Flex (before you do
any transmitting), you need to set up a proper connection between the 3.5mm
stereo jack on the back of the KPA1500 labeled "XCVR SERIAL" and one of the
common USB Type A connectors on the back of the Flex.

   1. Use any of the following to make a serial connection between the two
   devices:
      - FTDI USB-to-Serial adapter + Elecraft KXSER cable
      - Elecraft KXUSB cable
      - Serial Box USB (https://bit.ly/S-BOX) + stock serial and stereo
      cables

      2. For amp. keying, connect an ordinary RCA male-to-male patch cable
   between the RCA connector on the back of the KPA1500 labeled "KEY IN" and
   the RCA connector on the back of the Flex labeled "TX1"

   3. In the KPA1500 Menu, set

   RADIO TYPE: SERIAL

   SERIAL SPEED XCVR: 9600
   RADIO POLL: ON
   4. In the FlexRadio SmartSDR Setup, select the new serial adapter that
   appears when connected to the back of the Flex
   *Settings | USB Cables*
     Cable Type:  *CAT*
     Source:         *TX Slice*
     Auto-report:   *Disabled*
     Advanced:     *9600,8,N,1*
     Flow Control:
*None **Settings | Radio Setup*
     Transmit tab
     RCA TX1:  5 ms
                       Enabled

The KPA1500 and its tuner (if enabled) will now automatically track the
exact frequency of the Flex, and be keyed by the Flex when it goes into
transmit.  You can verify the frequency by setting TECH MODE to ENABLED in
the KPA1500 menu, then scroll the STATUS page of the KPA1500 LCD until you
see XCVR FREQ and TX COUNT displayed.  XCVR FREQ is the frequency reported
by the radio over the Serial connection.  TX COUNT is the approximate
frequency detected by the KPA1500's built-in frequency counter whenever you
transmit.

If you have trouble making this work, feel free to contact me directly.

73,
Bob, N6TV
https://bit.ly/Y-BOX
https://bit.ly/S-BOX